"Full many a ray of purest ray serene the dark unfathomed caves of ocean bear:
Full many a flower is born to blush unseen, and waste its sweetness to the desert air."
from "Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard" by Thomas Gray

Friday, August 25, 2017

Kailash 2017 Day 12 : Deraphuk, Friday Aug 25 2017

After breakfast, around 8:30am, our group climbed the slope in front of us to get closer to Kailash.


At some point in the ascent, I realized I was not breathing. There was no obstruction to the respiratory process, I was not struggling to breathe, I was not trying to suck in air, there was just no air coming in or leaving the body. There was no nutrition, no succor, no nourishment from the air, nor was I trying to get it. The body was surviving on its own stored energy, and I could have walked on slowly but I preferred to go down to the camp - that was the thought he had put in my mind. I told Hiraji, I was done - so he asked one of his Sherpas to go down and get another cooking Sherpa to stand with me as long as needed, and then accompany me back. I leaned against a rock, looked at the people climbing upwards towards Charanapada, and started my downward climb. Hiraji had asked me not to sleep once I reached my room, so it was a difficult sitting-up for 3-4 hours till the group got back.  


glacier waters at the foot of Kailash
It was Ganesh Chaturthi - the festival that starts with invoking Ganesha at home on the fourth day of Bhadrapada, and on the tenth day, bid him goodbye to go back to Kailash.


pooja prep for Ganesh Chaturthi

glaciers and ice streams


going back to Deraphuk

a view from Charanpada
The group got back by lunch - exhausted but exhilarated from the short trek to Charanpada. This is a good taste of the trek to Dolma La the next day, except that the trek past Dolma La promises to be unpredictable and exhausting, with the possibility of falling off ponies.


The sunset view today did not happen because of clouds.


AUM Namaha Shivaaya

No comments:

Post a Comment